Hover the image on computers. Click the image on mobile devices.
Click the image again (not on the text).
When clicking on the displayed text, a new window will open with a search for the latin name on DuckDuckGo.
The web sites/books I use most are:
- Herbario Virtual del Mediterráneo Occidental: Castilian/Catalan/English.
- Flora silvestre del Mediterráneo: Castilian.
- FloraCatalana: Catalan.
- Tela Botanica: French/English.
- Flore Alpes: French.
- Schede di botanica: Italian.
- The Plant List: English.
- Was blüht am Mittelmeer?: German.
- Les principals plantes per a la salut d'Eivissa i Fomentera: Catalan.
When I'm walking around Formentera, I've taken macros of nearly every flower I can see. Back at home, I find out what it is and publish it to the web.
Latin, Catalan, Castilian, French and German. The Latin names are aligned with The Plant List.
That happens when I couldn't find the common name.
- Order-Genus: sort by Order-Genus-Latin names.
- Latin: sort by Latin names.
- Catalan / Spanish / French / German: sort by a given language.
- Color: sort by flowers color.
Nothing else than a better text editor to write the code and a simple picture editor to resize these images (Preview).
The first version was "just for fun" to learn some new CSS commands. After several comments about enhancements, I changed the concept and made a fully usable page.
There's only one PHP page that does everything:
- it reads into an array a CSV file containing all the information;
- it sorts the array using the specified column;
- it generates the HTML code that displays the gallery.
Any newer browser should support that page.
It always takes time to download more than 200 pictures...